Wednesday, October 3, 2007

New Jersey, New York, New Experiences

A couple of weekends ago Matt and I went to New Jersey to celebrate a wedding of his friend, Kiran, from high school. Another one his his best friends, Kyle, joined us for the weekend. And since we were in Jersey for the wedding we decided to make an extended vacation and go to NYC for more fun!!
The wedding was such an experience for me. It was a blend of northern and southern India cultures. IT was filled with so many cool things that I don't hardly know how to write about it all. One cool thing was that at the beginning of the wedding the groom rode in on a horse. It was also good luck to have one of his nephews ride with him. While he was riding the rest of the people who were there to support him walked and danced around him to a man beating and singing with a drum. So yes, I danced and chanted through the parking lot to take help Kiran enter to ceremony! The second picture is after the ceremony. Kiran and his new bride Mala, sat up front and you could offer them blessings and then snap a photo for the scrapbook!



The wedding ceremony was full of different traditions. It was all done in sanscript so I really didn't know what was going on. But one of Kiran's aunties sat next to me and told me the signigicance of everything. It was so neat to learn a different culture and how much they believe in commitment and family. After the ceremony there was a break for cocktails, and snacks! The Indian culture definitely believes in food and a lot of it. Then it was time for the reception. More food and tons of dancing! I put a picture of my dinner plate. For those of you that know me well, you know how picky I am with my food. I actually ate most everything you see!! And it was good!



One really cool thing was how all the women painted their hands. They do this at celebrations because it simply looks pretty. Kiran's oldest auntie painted my had before we left. It is done with a henna paste. It comes out a dark brown and then has to dry for 2-3 hours. You can't move or bend the parts that are painted. After it has dried you rub it off, it just flakes off. Then it is an orange color. It will eventually rub or fad away. Mine lasted for about 3 weeks. It was so neat to go back to my school class and show and talk to the kids about my very educational weekend.


Hopefully, I have done the wedding justice. I will follow with another post showing some pictures from the rest of our weekend in NYC!

2 comments:

B-DUB said...

so i am a happy momma!

Coralyn Happel said...

Looks like you guys had a ton of fun! Maybe we can come up to Dallas some time and meet up!